Scholarships In Illinois
Scholarships available in Illinois are unique because the state gives special preference and scholarships to either working or single mothers. This is done with a view of the invaluable contributions that mothers make to society and gives them an opportunity to restart or complete their education. Whether you live in Chicago, Aurora, Rockford, Springfield, or anywhere else in the state of Illinois, this information should be of use to you.
Scholarships in Illinois
State representatives and senators award certain scholarships in Illinois. These include:
Illinois General Assembly Scholarship: This is a Merit Recognition Scholarship and the candidate’s eligibility is assessed on high school performances. The grant is of $1000 and can be used for paying the tuition fees of college or university in Illinois and even at the state’s four military schools. Nearly 5000-6000 freshmen undergraduates get this scholarship every year. Any high school student who graduates with a cumulative average of more than 3.0 or gets an equivalent SAT, ACT or GED score is eligible to apply.
One, however, does not get this scholarship for good grades or responsible citizenship alone. You need to be one of two students recognized by the state councilman of your voting district. With winning the scholarship comes the guaranteed entire tuition coverage to any state-sponsored university.
Illinois Dollars for Scholars: These are auxiliary scholarships introduced by private sponsors who jointly run the body. These scholarships are granted through with high schools situated in Illinois.
Illinois Department of Public Health for Rural Health Allied Health Care Professional Scholarship Program – This scholarship is given to twenty undergraduates who are studying medicine or its allied sciences. Being an Illinois resident is a must. The grant varies between $7500 and to $15000 depending on the student’s merit, abilities and academic performance. This grant is also given to students of nursing and the award ranges from $1500 to $6000.
More Illinois Scholarships
- Illinois Monetary Award Program – A scholarship of up to $4,968 is offered to undergraduates in any Illinois college.
- Indiana Scholarship – Only Indiana College freshmen students are eligible for this $1000 financial aid.
- Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship-Illinois – A grant of $1500 is made to 1100-1200 undergraduates in Illinois colleges and universities every year.
- College Bound Scholarship: One gets a grant of $5,000 for up to five years. Eligibility is determined by an essay, letters of recommendation and grades.
- Lincoln land Legends Contest: An essay has to be submitted by the applicant and the first nineteen best essays get a grant of $1,000 each. One needs to be either a high school junior or senior and must also be the honoree of a Gala or special program held in his/her name.
- The American Legion and Boy Scouts of America Scholarships: Academic qualifications apart, a candidate needs to submit a 500-word essay on topics on the Legion or the Boy Scouts or American culture. The first recipient gets $700, while the second receives $200. Both must aspire to go for journalism degrees.
Illinois Grants For College
The best part about grants is that the money you receive does not need to be repaid. Eligibility depends on your financial situation, but they are worth applying for anyway to see if you are eligible. Below are a few grants you may be eligible for:
- Illinois College Saving Bond bonus Incentive Grant – $40 to $440 awarded each year to 1200-1400 undergraduate and graduate students attending Illinois college.
More Financial Aid For College In Illinois
If you are not eligible for any of the above mentioned grants or scholarships, it may be worthwhile taking out a student loan. Although this money will need to be repaid, they often have a very low interest rate and therefore are a viable option for many students.